Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Date with the White House

My friend Julie came to visit from Utah for the weekend. We had tons of fun.










Our main goal was to see the white house gardens. They are only open 4 days a year.






We got up super early so we could be downtown by 8am to get tickets. All of the websites said that there are thousands of people that go every year and if you don't get there early enough, you won't get a ticket. We got there at 8:30 am and guess how many tickets they had left? Thousands and thousands! We decided to get tickets for 3 pm and head back to Bethesda for breakfast and BED.









We ate at the cutest French bakery/cafe. It's called Le Madeleine and I think I am officially in love. I will definitely go back there again...and again...and again.






After our nap, we started our day all over and took the metro downtown. We waited for about a half an hour before we were let through the gate. And then...we waited in line again.


This time we had to get through the security line. Julie had a ton of food in her bag so we decided to "hide" it in the pockets of my jacket. Unfortunately security was very thorough and soon enough I heard the security guard say, "This jacket is chalk full of food!" I almost laughed out loud. One way or another we got through security with ALL of our belongings.




We were able to get super close to the white house.










































There weren't very many flowers. Except around the children's garden...aren't the little chairs so cute!































This is Sasha and Malia's swing set. President Obama can watch his kids play from the Oval Office.









We saw Michelle Obama's infamous vegetable garden.

















After schmoozing with the Obama's we walked to Ford's Theater and the "House Where Lincoln Died" (very descriptive name isn't it?). We finished our day with some super yummy drinks at Hard Rock Cafe. Thanks for coming Julie. I had a blast!

3 comments:

Maria said...

SO FUN! I am glad Julie was able to visit. Glad you are having a good time!

Zcook said...

Great Photos. I think your camera does a great job!
What a pretty day!

Allie said...

I didn't know you were in DC. That's awesome! I think it totally fits you. And it looks like you're definitely making the most of it. Hope all is well with you.