Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ebony and Ivory

I have been working on Maria's wedding cake. Maria has a favorite baker named Dorie Greenspan who is the author of numerous cook books including Maria's favorite, Baking: From My Home to Yours. Maria wants her wedding cake to be from Dorie's book so we have tried a few different chocolate cake recipes to find the perfect one.

We first tried a milk chocolate cake with Vanilla Swiss Meringue frosting. The cake was not quite chocolaty enough and frosting (though fun to work with) was like eating raw butter (not too tasty!)

Next up: we tried a devils food cake with chocolate frosting. This cake has four different kinds of chocolate (cocoa, bittersweet, semisweet, and unsweetened). It has a dark, fudgey, moist interior spotted with chocolate chips which is perfectly contrasted by the fluffy chocolate frosting. (I took this cake to a ward party...hence the decorations.)

It was perfect! If you read my previous post (I'm in Love!) you'll know that I am not a big cake fan but this was absolutely delicious. Yea!


Sticking with the black and white theme. I made some chocolate crinkle cookies with chocolate chips and a dollop of raspberry jam in the middle. They were very rich...but absolutely delicious!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Kym, you are the best!! We are SO excited you are doing our wedding cake! It is going to be gorgeous and tasty:) Thanks for granting my Dorie wishes!! I loved the second cake. It was very chocolaty..what I like:) I am not the biggest fan of cake either but I know everyone will love it and it will be the best decoration at the reception! Thanks again! And if you don't want to do flowers for the topper I can get a picture of Dorie..ha!!!

Josh said...

Kymmie, You are Awesome! Thank you so much!

klt9976 said...

I just found your blog from Maria & Josh's blog! You have some serious skills! I'm adding you to my google reader so I can see what other creations you come up with